Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup with Chicken, Garlic, & Basil
Happy Weekend, friends! Weekends are my f a v o r i t e because the hubby is home and we get to spend so much time together as a family. In the summer this usually involves exploring a new trail or hitting the beach, but lately we’ve been making the most of the cold weather by staying in and resting, reading good books, watching football, and creating new recipes!
We are all recovering from colds, so tomato soup was essential on the menu this weekend. As tomatoes are super high in vitamin C, I was excited to cook up something that is healing and delicious.
Like many of you, I grew up grabbing a can of Campbell’s when the craving for tomato soup struck. So I get it – making your own soup with REAL tomatoes may sound a bit archaic. But it’s surprisingly fast and easy! And I can guarantee it tastes far better than anything out of a can or carton. 😉
Bonus points: all ingredients are approved for those of you following Whole30, Paleo, or GAPS programs.
You can certainly use fresh diced tomatoes for this recipe, but I highly recommend Muir Glen’s canned organic fire-roasted diced tomatoes. It gives the soup incredible flavor!
Also, side note (my fellow garlic-lovers will relate with me here): garlic-infused olive oil is probably the most amazing invention out there. If you haven’t tried it, go get you some!
So here we go – I read over many recipes online before picking and choosing the variety of ingredients used below!
- 2 14.5oz cans Muir Glen’s organic fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup bone broth
- 1 tablespoon mined garlic
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil, plus some for garnish if desired
- 3 TB garlic infused olive oil
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- freshly ground salt & pepper, to taste
- I used approximately 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Saute diced onion and garlic for a couple minutes, then add in bone broth, tomatoes, basil, then salt & pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Trim and rinse chicken breasts, and place in stockpot. Cook for about 25 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally & ensuring chicken breasts stay submerged in soup mixture.
- After 25 minutes, or when chicken is cooked through, remove chicken and place on a separate plate and shred with two forks.
- Remove soup from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth consistency.
- Stir in coconut milk until well combined.
- Add in shredded chicken and cook over medium heat for a few more minutes.
- Top with fresh chopped basil if desired. Enjoy!
I can’t wait to hear how this turns out for you, please share in the comments! 🙂